All in two/hybrid (AI2s) systems offer some great features. They come in two pieces – inserts and covers. Most have offer either snap-in, lay-in, or disposable inserts. The covers can be wiped and reused throughout the day (unless poo escapes!) with fresh inserts. They are often trim and offer a variety of options within one system. Check out the video at the bottom of the page for a closer look at AI2 systems.
- Since the covers can be reused, they can be an economical system.
- Often very trim.
- If the inserts are snapped in ahead of time, they’re as easy to use as AIOs.
- Shells come in many cute prints and colors.
- Often fairly quick to dry, though some inserts can be slow drying.
- Some systems have high-absorbency nighttime inserts
- Some systems make disposable inserts, which can be a convenient feature for travel.
- Lay-in systems with tuckable covers, such as Flips, can be used with prefolds, flats, or flour sack towels in addition to designated inserts.
- Sometimes the inserts are expensive enough that the system isn’t any cheaper than an AIO.
- The inserts may not be good at containing poop.
- Changing out the inserts requires an extra step.
- Often not a great nighttime option.
- Snap-in systems make it difficult to customize absorbency.
- With lay-in systems, inserts may bunch or move.
Some popular AI2 brands include:
- Applecheeks, cover $20, inserts $5 – $11.50
- Best Bottoms, cover $16.95, inserts $3.95 – $6.95
- Bumgenius Flips, cover $14.95, inserts $5 – $12.50
- Chelory, cover $24.95, inserts $8.25
- Grovia, cover $16.95, inserts $8.50
- Moraki, cover + 1 insert $27, extra inserts $5
- Ragababe 2-Step, cover + insert $39.95
- Softbums, cover $21.95, inserts $3.95 – $7.95
- Thirsties, cover $12.75, inserts $6.75 – $8.75